I am an Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Hafr Al-Batin, Saudi Arabia. I teach courses in Data Science and Computer Networks.
Prior to my current role, I worked as a Research Engineer and Data Scientist at AFRINIC. I planned and delivered research projects which were focussed on different aspects of Africa’s Internet from routing protocols to DNS to IPv6 adoption. I also travelled across Africa to deliver workshops and have participated in Internet fora and conferences with the drive to have a common understanding of technologies and policies that are vital in ensuring that the vast majority of unconnected Africans are provided with cheap access to the Internet.
I was also a Research Associate at the University of Cambridge and worked on the aRchitecture for an Internet For Everybody or simply the RIFE project. RIFE was aimed at providing affordable Internet access to those who could not afford it by solving the technological challenge to increase the efficiency of the underlying transport networks and the involved architectures and protocols. I also worked in a project to develop a new mobile web framework designed to revolutionise web access through significant reduction of the sizes of web pages in order to speed up web access especially for users in underserved areas. I am proud to say that the work we did contributed to the formation of the company GAIUS Networks.
My research interests are in Internet Data Science, Internet Performance measurement, mobility on the Internet, mobile web performance, mobile network architectures, Internet provision in underserved areas, and the general interaction between the different players in the Internet Ecosystem.
- HTTP Adaptive Streaming on Improved LISP-MN Architecture, Journal of the Institute of Electronics and Computer 3 (1), 61-74, 2021.
- State of Internet Measurement in Africa – A Survey,
AFRICOMM 2019 – 11th EAI International Conference on e‐Infrastructure and e‐Services for Developing Countries, Cotonou, Benin.
- Doctoral Thesis: An Improved Locator Identifier Split Architecture (ILISA) to Enhance Mobility (November 2017), Lancaster University, UK
- An Improved LISP Mobile Node Architecture Elsevier Journal of Network and Computer Applications (2018)
- The MWT Toolkit: Simplifying Mobile Web Pages for Bandwidth-Constrained Users, CHI 2018 (Rejected)
- Experimental evaluation of the impact of mobility management protocols on HTTP adaptive streaming, IET Networks Journal (2017)
- Towards Zero-Packet-Loss with LISP-MN, IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, ICNC 2017
- Inter-Domain Mobility with LISP-MN – A Performance Comparison with MIPv6, IFIP WMNC 2015
- An ILNP-Based Mobility Solution for Future Heterogeneous Wireless Networks, Annual Postgraduate Symposium on the Convergence of Telecommunications, Networking & Broadcasting, PGNet 2013
- Internet Measurement for Regulators, Africa Internet Summit, June 2019, Kampala, Uganda.
- State of Internet Measurement in Africa – A Survey, Africa Internet Summit, June 2019, Kampala, Uganda.
- Libremesh on Alpha Router Platform, Ammbr Research Lab & Product Foundary Meeting, 10th April 2018, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
- Emulation Experiments Platform for Mesh Networks – An MLC Introduction, 15th March 2018, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Mesh Networking Research @AMMBR Research Lab, AMMBRTech Stakeholders Meeting, 20th January 2018, Brussels, Belgium
- Towards Zero-Packet-Loss with LISP-MN, IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications, ICNC 2017, Silicon Valley, California
- Inter-Domain Mobility with LISP-MN – A Performance Comparison with MIPv6, IFIP WMNC 2015, Munich, Germany
- An ILNP-Based Mobility Solution for Future Heterogeneous Wireless Networks, PGNet 2013, Liverpool, UK